1. Does everyone develops stretch marks?
Luckily, not everyone develops stretch marks. It depends on your hormone levels and whether or not the people in your family have stretch marks. Genetics plays an essential role in the appearance of stretch marks.
2. Why do we get stretch marks?
Stretch marks may appear due to:
- Pubertal growth spurts
- Rapid weight loss or gain
- Medications such as corticosteroids
- Weight lifting
3. How can we get rid of stretch marks?
Stretch marks are permanent scars, but they can be less noticeable with proper treatment. It is of sheer importance to understand that there is not an ideal remedy that works for everyone, and that the more mature these marks are, the harder it is to get rid of them.
In case you are pregnant or breastfeeding, refer to your dermatologist before treating stretch marks, for some creams, namely those containing retinol, are harmful to your baby.
Here are some facts about the most used treatments:
- Stretch mark creams and lotions: Research has proven that no one product helps treat stretch marks all of the time, and some products do not work at all.
- Moisturizers: Indeed, moisturizers such as cocoa butter, almond oil, and olive oil tend to make your skin softer, but they do not treat stretch marks.
- Tanning: More frequently than people realize, tanning worsens stretch marks, as they become more noticeable.
- Self-tanner: you can camouflage both new and mature stretch marks by a self- tanner, but it won’t treat your stretch marks!
- Prescription Medication: Hyaluronic acid, Tretinoin, and Retinol can all help make early stretch marks less apparent.
4. Which treatments help to improve stretch marks at Skin Expert Clinic?
At our cosmetic clinic in Beirut, Lebanon, we use several therapies to improve stretch marks, such as:
- Micro-needling with mesotherapy
- Laser therapy
For obtaining the best results, Dr. Yassine may resort to more than one therapy, taking into account your health, age, and how long you have had stretch marks. Always remember that the best results are for new stretch marks compared to mature ones, so don’t wait for these babies to grow up!