1. Why do I need to undergo a skin biopsy?
Certain skin conditions and diseases like skin infections, suspicious moles, and inflammatory skin conditions (like dermatitis and psoriasis), are better diagnosed or ruled out through a skin biopsy. It is also effective in the treatment of skin lesions and disorders like bullous pemphigoid and other blistering skin disorders, as well as some skin cancers such as basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma.
2. How to prepare before my skin biopsy?
Previous to a skin biopsy, your doctor must know if:
- You suffer from a bleeding disorder
- Other medical procedures have caused you excessive bleeding
- You have previously had skin infections like impetigo
- You are taking blood-thinning medications (like aspirin, heparin, or similar)
- You are taking immunosuppressant medication such as medicines taken after organ transplants.
3. What you can expect during a punch biopsy or an excisional biopsy?
A skin biopsy consists of a small incision into the first layer of fat under the skin, and to close the wound, some stitches may be needed. To finish up, a dressing or adhesive bandage is applied to protect the wound and keep it from bleeding.
4. When to expect receiving Results?
At Skin Expert Clinic, the samples of your skin biopsy will be sent to the best dermatopathology center in Beirut which is specialized in examining skin biopsies for testing. Results usually need 10 working days to be ready, but it depends on the skin condition, the biopsy type, and laboratory procedures. Once the results are at hand, a follow-up appointment will be set up to begin your treatment.
If you’re looking for the best results, don’t hesitate to reach us! At Skin Expert Clinic, we care for your skin health.